Sunday, January 18, 2009

Spain.

An example of what was lining the narrow streets. Not far from here we ate at a little restaurant. We all decided to try Zarajos (a very traditional dish of Cuenca) also known as...lamb intestine. Yes. I tried it. Probably never again.
We walked up above the city...and the view was incredible. Getting up here we walked through all of the little side alley's, on old cobble-stone streets. Pictures just don't do this place justice.

We headed for Cuenca early Saturday morning. We watched the sun rise on the 2 1/2 hour train ride. It wasn't the most comfortable ride to say the least, but it was beautiful. The country side was just a sea of golden rolling hills. We finally made it to Cuenca and headed straight for the "old city." This picture is of what we found. "The hanging houses." It is what Cuenca is most famous for. These houses are litterally hanging off a cliff! As of late it was turned into a modern art museum.


We went to the Prado on Friday. I was overwhelmed. There is a term we throw around which is "sensory overload." You can literally only spend a couple hours at a time in a museum or see so many cathedrals in one day. Eventually you just can't take in any more! The prado (along with so many other places) could be visited 10 times and it still wouldn't be enough. I've come to know better some incredible artists such as Goya, Velazquez, El Greco, Picaso...etc. At the Prado we saw so many famous masterpieces such as Goya's "Saturn" (it's a little disturbing), "The 2nd of May," and "The 3rd of May." Afterwards I sat outside in the sun, eating the Bocadilla my madre had made and listened to a man playing the Spanish guitar. It was ideal. Later that day we discovered the Parque del Buen Retiro (similar to NY Central Park) It was beautiful. Something I've noticed here is that EVERYONE dresses their dogs. They all wear sweaters! I found a guy sitting under a tree playing what looked like a didgeridoo, random...but I loved it all the same.
We found the temple the other day! Unfortunately it was overcast...but I'll get more pictures soon! We go to institute in Alcala...which is amazing. I look forward to it every week. This last week Brother Lopez said something that I loved. We were talking about the importance of keeping a journal... he said, "If you sit down one day and have nothing to write about...1 day is gone...then 2 days...20 days...gone. Eventually, you have not lived." Being here in Spain is a goal I've had for a long time and an unforgettable experience. I have the opportunity to keep these memories forever if I record them down, which I am doing. Meticulously!





1 comment:

Willi Nixon said...

Kimmmmm. thanks, i only wish my life was as exciting as yours so i would actually have something to blog about haha :) looks and sounds like you're having a blast, miss you!