Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Perusing through Paris

Next city: Paris.


We had so much fun here!!

The Champs Elysees. As you walk down it half of it is tree-lined and just so beautiful. Being April in Paris, everything was in bloom and the trees were so incredibly green. I'm from Washington the greenest state in the U.S. and even I was amazed! The other half of the street is lined with shops and just busy with people. Along here (with the recommendation by a good friend, Em) we found Paul, one of the best bakery/pastry shops in town! We had to try the vanilla macaroons (another recommendation). Oh my goodness. so tasty.

The Arc de Triomphe. It really is SO BIG. From the top of the Eiffel Tower it totally stuck out. It's also a roundabout, one I would not want to attempt driving in. I really think once I got in the circle of cars I wouldn't be able to get out!

The Louvre. Despite the fact that my legs were about to fall off from all of the walking we had done, I loved getting lost in this museum. (yes, we actually got lost...) Out of all of the collections, the paintings were my favorite. I was so excited to see the Oath of the Horatii by Jacques-Louis David. And of course we had to see the Mona Lisa. It was pretty amazing to see how everyone just skimmed by other incredible art and headed straight for the Mona Lisa. I enjoyed seeing it, but I wasn't a fan of the pushing and shoving of the mob of people trying to get a closer look! Overall, I was so impressed by the variety of collections in the Louvre. Much like the Prado, it could take days to fully see it all. Once again, I'm just going to have to make a trip back!
Underneath the glass pyramid of the Louvre.

Château de Versailles. We took a tour through the palace which was cool. I feel like I need to go watch the move Marie Antoinette again. The Hall of Mirrors was impressive which, if I'm correct, still has most of the original glass? wow. The frescos alone were enough to keep your eyes busy.

perhaps the most impressive part of this property is the hundreds of acres of gardens. Running through a huge portion of it is the Grand Canal, full of row boats and swans. Some of the finely kept hedges created mazes and cool designs. The farther you got out the more it looked like the picture above with the trees creating a tunnel above our heads. Most of the tourists stuck to closer to the palace which was nice because back here it was so peaceful! Tucked back in the gardens is Marie Antoinette's little get away. There is just no question that Versailles is a must see when visiting Paris. Notre Dame!

Love the flying buttresses...

Just can't get enough pictures of this one.

Walking through the Champ de Mars back to the hotel.

In the Jardin de Luxembourg where it was a common site to see old men playing bocce ball or....ping pong?

No comments: