Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Perhaps I'm a little homesick for Spain

Alright. I've procrastinated long enough. I have quite a blogging task ahead of me to catch up! I supposed I'd like to start first with one last blog about Spain. (Disregard this blog if you are tired of hearing about Spain!!) Here it goes. I couldn't sleep one night a few weeks before I left Spain. I got on my laptop and just started typing. Anyways here's a bit from what came of that:



I've loved just feeling like a part of everyday life here. I loved just sitting at the dinner table chatting with Luisa (madre) about random (and sometimes insignificant) things such as mopping floors, or why we love our dogs. I loved joking around with Juama (hermano) as we talked about dating. (some hilarious conversations certainly came from this topic…) I loved walking down the streets of Alcalá watching the locals bringing home their groceries in their little karts- pan (or a baguette) always in hand. I think I saw at least ten people each day walking with just a bag full of bread. I loved riding the bus without having to hold my breath every time the driver screamed by a parked car with literally half an inch to spare, or riding in the back because it’s much more like a roller coaster ride when we make the hair pin turns (barely missing citizens). I loved the challenge of the language barrier. Every day brought new opportunities to communicate whether it be asking for a different color shirt in a clothing store, a sample of ice cream, or directions (and trying to understand the answer even more so.) I loved visiting the Monday market (where I could buy anything from lingerie to fruit) with hundreds of other locals and vendors screaming prices in my face. I loved just walking on my own, listening to others converse, finding a park bench to sit on and watch the elderly enjoy their retirement, the “punkies” feeling so cool as they lit up, the masses of locals both young and old playing an intense game of soccer or the millions of Spaniards walking their little dogs adorned in sweaters or some sort of fashion. I loved watching the little kids navigate their way through life carrying a backpack almost the size of their body, or walking alongside a sibling, both clothed in matching dresses, tights, and the essential bows in the hair. I loved getting into the music scene both old and new. I loved making friends with locals to practice my Spanish over tapas at a local cafĂ©. I loved cooking in the kitchen with Luisa, learning the ways of a true Spanish housewife! I loved riding the train to Madrid with other Spaniards coming from all walks of life. I loved figuring out the metro system. I loved checking off item after item on my “Spain Bucket List” such as taking Salsa lessons at a local discoteca. All of this has shown me how independent I am. True I came with 23 other BYU students, and even though we all saw a lot of the same things, the experience was still unique and personal to each and every one of us. This experience taught me so much (I'll spare you all of that blah blah) but one thing I will say is that though I enjoy history (somewhat) I enjoy experiencing culture in real-time. There is nothing like being a part of it, being able to see it, hear it and even smell it first-hand. Though I only spent a few short months there, Spain will forever be a part of me.

No comments: